About the Cattons
About the Cattons
Catton Parish is a fairly small Parish, lying some 7 miles east of York and 1 mile south of Stamford Bridge. The Parish is bounded on the western side by the River Derwent and Scoreby, to the south by Kexby and Wiberfoss and by open land and Fangfoss to the east. To the north, the boundary is said to follow the line of an old Roman Road that led easterly out of Stamford Bridge. Three are approximately 125 habited dwellings, mainly in the two small villages of High and Low Catton. Low Catton is situated on the east bank of the Derwent, but fortunately well above any potential flood levels, whilst High Catton is on the slopes of the Escrick Moraine; this moraine represents the southern extent of a glacier in the Ice Age.
The Parish Church is All Saints Church situated at the northern end of Low Catton. Catton Church was mentioned as early as the 13th century and was the principal church in the area until recent times. The old rectory, at one time the court house of the manor, is now a private residence close to the church. Also, until 1955 there was a school in Low Catton, this building now serves as the village hall for the whole Parish.
In recent times, both High and Low Catton have seen some small developments but both villages remain essentially small rural communities. Other than The Gold Cup Inn, First recorded in that name in 1851, there are no amenities within the villages. However, Stamford Bridge just 1 mile to the north has a range of shops, a doctor’s surgery and a dentist. There are no regular bus services through High and Low Catton but once again Stamford Bridge has a very regular bus service to York; once a week, Catton Cars provide a service to enable people to get to the bus at Stamford Bridge. In addition, there is a bus service along the A 1079 which runs through the southern edge of the Parish.