All Saints Church, Low Catton
There has been a church on the present site in Low Catton since the early 12th Century. Situated behind tall trees at the end of a narrow lane on the banks of the River Derwent, it is a fine example of an Old English Church.
Throughout the centuries it has been developed and redeveloped at various times and in 1860 the noted architect G.E. Street (particularly remembered for the Law Courts in London) was commissioned to re-build the chancel and repair the nave, aisles and tower.
Also of particular note is the east window, which is a superb example of the work of William Morris. It is considered to be one of the finest examples of his work to be seen in the north. There are other windows of interest and a previous priest in charge produced a very informative booklet to use as a guide. This is available on the bookshelves as you enter the church. Also available are leaflets describing oher items of interest within the building.
In 2011 £153,000.00 was spent on a new roof, other repairs and the restoration of two stained glass windows. Much of this was due to the generosity of English Heritage who gave £105,000.00 for the upkeep of this Grade 1 Listed Building. Other donations from local and national bodies, plus hard work by parishioners thankfully raised the rest.
The result is that All Saints’ Church is here to serve its parishioners and will be for many years to come. To contact us please see details on the fine new notice board at the bottom of Church Lane. Outside service times the church is open from 10.00am to 4.00pm every Saturday.
Every second and fourth Sunday at 9:00 AM for ¾ hour
Every third Sunday at 10.30 AM for ¾ hour
Held in Low Catton Village Hall
Every third Thursday at 9:45 AM for ¾ hour
Please visit the Church Website for more information All Saints, Low Catton