Please click on the link below to view a poster from Pocklington Police Station.
Here’s some advice when somebody knocks on your door or rings your doorbell:
– Look to see who it is outside before opening up.
– Fit a chain on your door so you can open your door to talk to people with the chain engaged.
– Always lock your doors. Sometimes bogus officials work in pairs, and whilst you’re distracted at the front door, another may be coming through your back door!
– Check the caller’s identity before you let them in. If in doubt shut the door and call the company or organisation they represent. Remember to use the phone book, not the number on their identity card! If the person is genuine, they’ll understand and wait.
– If still in doubt, ask the caller to leave and tell them to write and make an appointment so that someone else can be with you.
If in doubt, don’t let them in!